RaceTac Release Notes
Version 2.78: September 13, 2022
Version 2.77: June 1, 2022
- Fix: A crash setting 'Night Mode' in some cases.
- Enhancement: Location updates run as a service so tracking occurs when app is in the background.
- Enhancement: Improved graphing in Performance Analysis charts. Show zero better.
Version 2.76: May 16, 2022
- Fix: A rare crash when loading a large number of charts.
Version 2.75: May 7, 2022
- Enhancement: Even better memory use when using many charts.
Version 2.74: April 21, 2022
- Enhancement: Larger text on the Race Mode screen.
- Enhancement: Much less memory used when using charts.
- Enhancement: Improved chart performance.
- Fix: Problem loading Australian High Def charts.
- Fix: Race Mode did not display a VMG to a gate in some cases.
Version 2.73: April 11, 2022
- NEW: Control the opacity (transparency) of data overlays on the chart screen. See the 'Data Format' button on the charts pop-up dialog.
- Enhancement: Reduced memory use.
- Enhancement: Use Android file dialog for importing Chart Cell Permits.
Version 2.72: April 8, 2022
- Enhancement: Now shows the name of the last named course saved/loaded on the Course Management screen. An * after it means it has been changed but not yet saved.
- Fix: AutoRound would not work in some cases.
Version 2.71: March 22, 2022
- Fix a rare startup crash.
Version 2.70: January 31, 2022
- Enhancements: Improved error handling in some obscure cases.
Version 2.65: August 23, 2021
- NEW: Performance Analysis: See menu item. Shows 3 graphs with Speed-Over-Ground (SOG), Velocity-Made-Good on the Course (VMG-C) which is VMG to the mark, and VMG on the Leg (VMG-L), which is VMG to a line perpendicular to the leg and through the mark (in lieu of not having wind info). Allows user to mark points in time when changes are made such as trim or heading, to evaluate effect on performance. You can also export the results in an Excel™ spreadsheet.
- NEW: Charts now allow user to re-size the data overlays in the top corners.
- NEW: Charts allow you to choose what data to show in the data overlays.
- Enhancements: Some minor memory and performance improvements.
- See technical docs HERE for more info on the new features.
Version 2.64: June 9, 2021
- NEW: Laylines on the chart! Visible when starting or racing.
- NEW: Added a confirmation when clearing all marks in a course.
- NEW: Import/Export dialogs use newer Android file chooser on newer versions of Android.
- Fix: Added consistency checks when deleting marks.
- Fix: A couple of obscure crashes if the device has not provided a location fix.
- Fix: The display of the track sailed did not zoom with a chart.
Version 2.63: June 8, 2021
- Fix: Import of large S63 type charts could fail.
Version 2.62: August 9, 2020
- Enhancement: Bring some Android code up to current version levels.
- Fix: Allow refresh of User Permit for S63 licensed charts. Like from the UK Admiralty.
This allows a chart to be moved to a new device. (One only)
Contact RaceTac support, as they need to change the device in their database.
Version 2.61: April 2, 2020
- New: Current Chart expands when device rotates sideways.
- New: Import and Export Saved 'Named' Courses.
- New: Dialogs look nicer and are more consitstent.
- New: Tidal Current Stations are removed when the source deletes them. (NOAA, Admiralty)
- New: Improved Menu organization.
- Fix: Import/Export dialog was not updating the current folder name.
Version 2.60: February 20, 2020
- FIX: Chart updates from NOAA or UKHO with coordinate delete instructions might not delete a coordinate.
Version 2.51: October 17, 2019
- NEW: Start Mode shows Time-To-Burn next to Time-To-Line. See Manual HERE.
- Improved: Uses compass for heading if moving very slowly, as GPS becomes inaccurate.
- FIX: Error loading some newer NOAA Charts.
- FIX: Can see Downloads folder on import of files again in Android Q and above.
Version 2.50: October 1, 2019
- FIX: Double tap of a zoom button on charts would backup to previous mode screen.
- Improved: Loading currents data now better if network is unavailable.
Version 2.42: April 26, 2019
- NEW: Tap VMG in Race Mode to switch between VMG on the Course (VMG-c) and VMG on the Leg (VMG-l)
- VMG-c: VMG on the Course is the old VMG to the mark.
- VMG-l: VMG on the Leg is the VMG to a line perpendicular to the leg and through the mark. This is similar to VMG to the wind, but since we don't have wind data this is close on an upwind or downwind leg.
- NEW: Faster way to ping the starting line! Start Mode shows buttons for the end marks of the line. Tap a button to quickly set it to the current boat location. ALSO, the closest end to the first mark is in Green to help determine the favored end. For example, we keep a mark named 'CB' for the Committee Boat as one end, and 'SF' for the other end, and ping them. We create a 'Gate' type mark named 'STRT' for the start and finish line made up of those two marks.
- NEW: Saved Course Management. See buttons at the bottom of the Course Management mode.
- NEW: Import marks from .csv, .kml, and .gpx named files as well as the previous '.marks' . Easier to work with and you don't have to rename the file.
- Improved: Screens now show SOG before VMG to be consistent across the app.
- Fixed: A few rare bugs that could cause crashes.
- Note: GPS Satellite counts in the status line at the bottom of Start and Race modes now only work in Android 7.0 (Nougat) and above. Accuracy and location still work as before.
Version 2.41: February 21, 2019
- Fix for accessing NOAA charts over HTTP in new versions of Android.
- Fix crash when trying to import from a folder you don't have access to.
Version: 2.40 - January 30, 2019
- Fix for changes in NOAA websites for Chart Updates.
Version 2.31: October 12, 2018
- New look for main screen!
- Major update to NOAA Charts support!
- Separate 'Import Charts' menu item under 'Chart Management'.
- Import NOAA Charts directly from NOAA! No need to manually move files to your device!
- Chart search feature! Find NOAA charts by 'Cell ID', State, or description!
- Get update warnings when NOAA issues a new version of a chart, and update directly with just a tap!
- Update from the Charts Listing menu, or by tapping the Alert text in the alert dialog (Red ! at top of main screen)!
- Virtual Marks now shows an arrow pointing to your upcoming mark if it is off screen!
- Minor performance and memory use improvements.
- Option to re-init all tidal current data if corrupted due to network failures etc. See the Preferences under the Advanced options.
Version 2.30: September 25, 2018
- Enhanced! MUCH faster loading of tidal current data at startup!
Version 2.22: August 29, 2018
- NEW! Saved Tracks! Each race, from the start of the timer until finish, is saved. You can reload a past race track for analysis! Just bring up the chart pop-up dialog and tap 'Show Saved Track' and a dialog will come up with the times of the tracks available.
Version 2.21: August 20, 2018
- Fix: A case where Tidal Currents on Charts might show 'N/A' for several minutes after startup.
Version 2.20: August 1, 2018
- NEW! 'Next 2 Course Legs' option from the Chart pop-up dialog. Reduces clutter by showing only the current and next course legs on charts, instead of the entire course.
- Improved: Better dialog sizes for smaller devices.
- Improved: Lower memory use.
- Improved: Tidal Current Data populates faster. NOAA Data also uses our own web services now, not NOAAs which came down for maintenance far more often. faster, less memory, and more reliable.
- Fix: Tidal Currents would not update after a change in charts (Import or Delete) until after a restart in some cases.
Previous notes: Click HERE for PDF version.
- Feature Pop-Ups! Each rev will highlight some features. Tap anywhere in the pop-up to dismiss it. It won't show again unless you reset them from the menu.
- Start Timer Adjusting! Long press the timer digits to get a dialog to increment or decrement the timer by one minute. Even while running. Good way to recover easily from a missed signal!
- Graphical Currents View! Now shows a scrollable graph of current details when you tap a current station on the chart. You can still get the text version from that pop-up.
- Fix: A case where the app would stop responding.
- Fix: 'AutoFinish' would not stop the clock if you were far from the middle of the finish line. Now stops when you cross anywhere on the line.